Update - "outwith Scotland" etc
Google Books and Google Ngram Viewer
NB. It is only used as a preposition.
- Archie's outside in the garden with the dog. (adverb) Not he's outwith ...
- Ewan's painting the outside of the house. (noun) Not he's painting the outwith ...
- Senga's got an outside chance of winning. (adjective) Not she's got an outwith chance ...
Update - collected quotes
Further update - "outwith Scotland" etc
- Nigel Tranter, well-known writer on Scottish history, in A History of Scotland
They cannot all be leaders, and consequently none are, and more united and less argumentative outsiders step in to lead them, whereas outwith Scotland, their natural energies and drive find scope amongst less combative folk, and they ...
- John Prebble, another well-known chronicler of Scottish history, in John Prebble's Scotland:
although he cared little for the Massacre, believing its importance exaggerated outwith the district
- The Oxford Companion to Scottish History, by Michael Lynch
Only 5 to 8 per cent of all transportees were Scots, half of these sentenced outwith Scotland (hence the range).
- The Edinburgh Companion to Hugh MacDiarmid by Scott Lyall, Margery Palmer McCulloch
... in the Scottish universities or in universities outwith Scotland
In Parliament etc
- The Referendum on Separation for Scotland, Session 2012-13 -
One area that has been raised particularly is those members of the army that are based outwith Scotland.
- Banking in Scotland: second report of session 2009-10
... out the wrong message to individuals outwith Scotland and also firms outwith Scotland who may want to invest north of the border.
- Scottish Economic Bulletin - Issues 1-10
The region, which contains 48 per cent of Scotland's population experienced a net migration outwith Scotland which was 61 per cent of the Scottish total in 1 966/67 and 77 per cent in 1971/72
- Statutory Instruments - Part 2, Volumes 1-2
... justices, is or are outwith Scotland, or in so far as it relates to the carrying out of the duties under section 14(5)(b) of that Act, and these duties are performed outwith Scotland.
Links for selected site searches - "outwith Scotland"
- The Scotsman
- The Herald
- The Dundee Courier
- The Press and Journal
- BBC Scotland
- Edinburgh University
- Glasgow University
- St Andrews University
- Aberdeen University
- The Scottish Parliament
- The Scottish Government
- The Law Society of Scotland
- The Faculty of Advocates
- Scottish Courts
- The Church of Scotland
- National Library of Scotland
- Outwith - collected quotes
- My earlier post - Some words are simply outwith some people's understanding
- British National Corpus - random examples of outwith out there in the real world.
- outwith - Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
- outside (preposition) - Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (Note especially: 3 not part of)